3035 Highway 7, Lake Echo, NS B3E1A8, ca

(902) 829-3105

Welcome to Lake Echo Fire



Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency

With over 260 years of service, Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency is the oldest fire department in Canada. The 380,000 residents of HRM are protected daily by a total of 900 career and volunteer firefighters who operate out of 52 fire stations that span across approximately 5,600 square kilometers.      


Station 21 & 22

Lake Echo Volunteer Fire Department was founded in 1973 by dedicated members of the community. In 1976, the stations within the Halifax County regrouped and became Halifax County District 8 Fire Departments. In 1983, Lake Echo became the first station in District 8 to have a full time career firefighters, then in 1985, 2 more full time firefighters were added. 


After the city amalgamation in 1996, Lake Echo and North Preston Fire station became Station 21 and 22 with the Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency.


Firefighter Ronald MacDonald Memorial

At around 3 PM on November 2nd 1997, fire crews from Lake Echo, Lawrencetown and Chezzetcook responded to a single car accident in the area of West Porters Lake road. The thick fog encountered on scene prevented the firefighters from locating the crash. Fire apparatus and volunteer firefighters with their own personal vehicles were desperately trying to find the crash site. While turning his personal vehicle around, Firefighter Ron MacDonald's car was hit by an incoming ambulance. Firefighter MacDonald, 42 year old, died on scene.

Firefighter Ron MacDonald is the last firefighter who lost his life in the line of duty with Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency. A memorial was built outside the Lake Echo Fire Station in honour of our fallen comrade, Ronald MacDonald.


Porters Lake Fire - June 2008

In the afternoon of June 13, 2008, career and volunteer members from Lake Echo were dispatched to a forest fire in the Lake Echo / Porters Lake area. Before arriving on scene, crew already knew it would be a major event and help from across the municipality would be required.       

Career and volunteers firefighters united their forces during 5 days to put out this fire, which destroyed two houses, damaged more than 20 others and burned almost 4800 acres. More than 5000 residents were evacuated from their homes and several major roads were closed for 3 days. It was determined that residue from Hurricane Juan fueled the fire, which was the largest fire in an urban area of Nova Scotia, and the largest fire overall, in 30 years.