3035 Highway 7, Lake Echo, NS B3E1A8, ca

(902) 829-3105

Welcome to Lake Echo Fire

Fire Prevention

image1

Smoke detector

Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Test smoke alarms once a month, if they’re not working, change the batteries.

image2

Escape Plan

Practice your families fire escape plan so everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency. Ensure you have an emergency preparedness kit in case of incidents such as power outages and flooding.  Windows should be checked to ensure they open and close properly, in case they are needed as an exit.

image3

Around the house

Properly store household chemicals and never mix cleaning agents       


Recycle: Get rid of old newspapers, magazines and junk mail. These items tend to pile up and can greatly contribute to the severity and spread of fire.       


Check and clean filters above stove. Pull refrigerator out and vacuum or dust the coils.       


Always keep stairs and landings clear for safe evacuation in event of an emergency.

image4

BBQ Tips

All barbeque grills must only be used outdoors — using grills indoors or in enclosed spaces is not only a fire hazard, but it exposes occupants to toxic gasses and potential asphyxiation.      


Always position the grill well away from combustible objects — buildings, fences, deck railings and landscaping can easily and quickly ignite.   


Get your grill cleaned and serviced. 

Check all propane tanks and lines for leaks and damage.    

Never leave a lit grill unattended.

image5

Fire Extinguisher

Class A fires are ordinary materials like burning paper, lumber, cardboard, plastics etc.   


◦Class B fires involve flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, and common organic solvents used in the laboratory.   


◦Class C fires involve energized electrical equipment, such as appliances, switches, panel boxes, power tools, hot plates and stirrers. Water can be a dangerous extinguishing medium for class C fires because of the risk of electrical shock unless a specialized water mist extinguisher is used.   

image6

Electrical Fire

Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord which can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.   


Running cords under rugs is another cause of electrical fires. 


Removing the grounding plug from a cord so it can be used in a two-prong electrical outlet can also cause a fire. 


Installing a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading cause of electrical fires.  


Another cause of fire is placing materials like cloth or paper over a lampshade. 


 Appliances should be plugged directly into outlet and not plugged into an extension cord for any length of time. Only use extension cords as a temporary measure. 


Outdated wiring often causes electrical fires. If a home is over 20 years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances in today’s average home, causing the system to overload and start an electrical fire.